“Oh I do like to be beside the seaside……..”
As (hopefully!!!) the weather continues to improve many of us like to hit the beach and take along our lovely dachshunds to enjoy some fun by the sea. Can’t think of a lovelier activity than watching a little dachshund frolicking in the sand and maybe having a paddle in the sea.
There are a few dangers, however, that we need to be aware of. Hope these points are useful:
1. Sand impaction is a major risk! This is caused by your dog eating too much sand which compresses to form a blockage in the intestine. This can happen from something as simple as playing with a ball or or toy which has gathered sand on it’s surface to playfully digging or licking up someone’s left behind picnic or ice cream!!!!! Sand, as we know, gets everywhere!!
2. Swimming in the sea. Just like us dachshunds will respond differently to going into the sea. They are capable of swimming and their elongated bodies can help them to float but that doesn’t necessarily mean they will enjoy the challenge of a dip!!! Make sure they don’t get out of their depth and be aware of strong currents and tides.
3. Make sure the sea is calm. Waves can be a great danger!!!
4. Salt poisoning. Always have fresh water available to help prevent your dachshund drinking sea water which can cause sickness. Also, if possible, rinse any sea water off when you leave the beach to avoid salt being ingested through licking. This can help prevent possible sores and skin irritations too.
5. Eating seaweed. Like sand this can cause blockages in the intestine especially if dry seaweed
6. Jellyfish. As we all know they have a very nasty sting and your dachshund should be deterred from investigating any that have been washed onto the beach or swimming by the shoreline!!!
7. Temperatures. Don’t be fooled by cool sea breezes!!! Remember how delicate your dachshunds paws are and how hot the sand can get!!! Please avoid the hottest times of the day too!!
8. Foreign objects in the sand. As we know, sadly, after a busy day on the beach lots of tempting treats may have been discarded and we all know how a dachshund loves a scent and a chance to consume apparent treats!!!
9. Overexertion (not that this would ever be a problem for my pair!!!!) Keep an eye on your dachshund and watch they don’t overdo it in all the excitement. Hot days can of course cause exhaustion very quickly.
This sounds a lot but we want everyone and their precious dachshunds to enjoy our wonderful beaches and to have a fantastic and safe time “beside the seaside, beside the sea”
Any advice you can offer too from your personal experiences would be great…..?
Please feel free to share photos of your dachshunds having fun at the beach to help get us all in the mood for some happy excursions to the seaside🧡🧡